injured by a malfunctioning saw

injured by a malfunctioning saw

3 Tips For When Accident Settlement Negotiations Aren't Going Anywhere

by Lawrence Miller

Were you recently injured in a car accident? Are you in the process of negotiating a settlement with the insurance company of the liable party? Do you feel like the negotiations are stalled and aren't making progress? The good news is that you can take action to get the process moving again towards a settlement. Here are three tips on how to move forward: 

Ask for written documentation from the adjuster's supervisor. If the adjuster is offering an amount that you feel is far too low and seem unwilling to negotiate, ask to speak to their supervisor. If they want to know why you'd like to speak to the supervisor, tell them that you want the supervisor's opinion and that you would like to get a written statement as to why their offer is so low.

This accomplishes two things. First, it puts pressure on the adjuster. They're assessed on their performance and they likely don't want their supervisor involved in the process. Second, if you get their reasoning in writing, you may learn about some items that you need to address. These could include questions about your injuries or the accident itself. If you come back with supporting evidence for your cause, you may eliminate their justification for their low offer.

Threaten a lawsuit. The last thing most insurance companies want is a lawsuit. Lawsuits cost significant amounts of money, so very often, insurance companies prefer to just pay a settlement. Many adjusters are reviewed based on their ability to avoid lawsuits. Your adjuster will likely be motivated to avoid your case going to court. Mention to them that you don't want to go to court, but you are willing to if they're not able to negotiate. That should give them the incentive that they need to find a compromise with you.

Have an auto accident attorney contact them. If threatening a lawsuit doesn't work, your next best step may be to bring in an auto accident attorney. Have the attorney call your adjuster and negotiate on your behalf. A call from an experienced attorney will send the message that you're serious about going to court. Also, your attorney will likely have experience in cases like yours and will be able to negotiate from a position of knowledge. They may be able to advance the negotiation and get you a better settlement than you could get on your own.

For more information, contact an auto accident attorney, like those at Gelman Gelman Wiskow & McCarthy LLC. An attorney can review your case and recommend a strategy going forward.  


About Me

injured by a malfunctioning saw

What kind of injuries can you hold someone liable for? How severe do the injuries have to be? When my husband was injured by a faulty saw, we weren't sure what we were going to do. At that time, we didn't have any health insurance and had to try to come up with the money for emergency and long-term medial treatment. This created an impossible time for my family. My husband was out of work and we had medical bills piling up because a product that we paid a lot of money for malfunctioned and injured my husband. So, what can you do when this happens? Read through my blog.